St. Louis County provides assessment services for the City of Babbitt. Contacts at St. Louis County are: Ben Thomas - 218-365-8206 or David Hillstrom - 218-365-8235
The primary purpose of the Assessor's job is to value and classify property within the jurisdiction of Babbitt which consists of three townships. The classifications of property within the Babbitt jurisdiction includes: residential, vacant land, commercial, exempt, mining, and personal property leases. The Assessor also determines what residential property meets the criteria for being classified as a homestead.
If you are a resident, but will not be living in your home on January 2, you need to fill out a temporary absence form. These forms are available at the St. Louis County Assessor's Office or on their website.
If you have a relative living at a property that you own, the property may be eligible for a homestead classification. Please contact the Assessor for more information.
- Fire Chief - Tony Chamberlin
- Assistant Chief - Andy Gerlovich
- Captains - Alex Bee to Jeb Backe
- Members - Total: 30 (EMT/FF - 10) (FF - 20)
- Coverage Area - Approx 230 sq. miles
- ISO Insurance Rating - 5
- Phone: 218-827-2611
The Babbitt Police Department provides 24-hour coverage covering an area that includes 108 square miles surrounding the City of Babbitt. The department is made up of 4 full-time officers and 5 part-time officers. Many of our part-time officers are also employed as deputies or police officers in neighboring communities. In addition to patrol duties, officers are actively involved in our community with many having served or are currently serving on our fire and ambulance services as well as civic organizations.
Non-emergency phone: 218-827-2441
Emergency phone: 911
Recreation Coordinator - Caitlin Stern
Babbitt offers many recreational opportunities including a beach and boat landing on Birch Lake, walking and bike trails, parks located throughout the City, an ice arena, a Teen center and a skateboard park. An active Parks & City Beautification Board has spent over $25,000.00 on playground equipment installed in Central Boulevard Park for young and very young children. Swings and monkey bars are also located at the Little League Field area on South Drive. Four 20' flower beds have been planted in Central Boulevard Park. Over 50 pine trees have been transplanted by the Mineland Reclamation unit of the IRRRB.
- Chuck Schanlaub (218) 235-0232
- Pat Marinello (218) 684-5020
- President Dave Sherman
- Commissioner Paul Hoheisel
- Commissioner Richard Huovinen
Certificate of Commendation
Awarded to the City of Babbitt and its wastewater treatment facility staff. Winner of 7 Certificates of Commendation since 2000. Recognizing exemplary effort expended in the year 2010, to comply with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency's Permit Program. Your efforts help protect and preserve the waters of Minnesota.
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
Paul W. Aasen, Commissioner
City Garage: Tony Chamberlin (218) 827-2129
The new Public Works building measuring 52' x 158' was built in the fall of 2009.
Function: Maintains streets and new rural roadways, lawns, ditches, walking trails, boat dock, fishing pier, and cemetery. The department has two full-time employees with occasional laborers.
The Public Works has the following equipment:
- (2) Single axle dump trucks with plows
- Volvo L90H Loader with bucket, forks, plow, and wing
- Cat 120G Grader
- John Deere 444h Loader
- Elgin Pelican Sweeper
- Cat 262D3 Skidsteer Loader & several attachments
- Bombardier SW48 Sidewalk Plow
- 2014 F250 Pickup with plow and dump insert
- 2020 Ram 2500 with plow
- 2008 F150 2wd
- 1988 Chevrolet 2500 2wd with welder
- Ford 555D Backhoe
- (2) John Deere Diesel Mowers
- Cimline C1 Mastic Patch and Crack Seal Trailer
Library Director: Lisa Pennala
Assistant Librarian: Joann Briggs
Library Clerk: Jenna Sutter
Monday through Friday- 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Library Board Meetings - 1st Monday of each month at 5:00 p.m.
- Friends of the Library - 2nd Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m.
- Preschool Storytime- Every Wednesday at 10:30 a.m.
- Children's Take & Make Kits available once a month
Babbitt Public Library offers:
- A wide selection of the latest reading materials for all ages and reading levels in the form of books, large print books, magazines, newspapers and ebooks
- Interlibrary loan and access to library catalogs across the state
- Public use computers with internet access
- STEM building Kits, Educational Toys, Board Games for Families
- Strong and speedy wireless internet access
- Databases such as Brittanica Online, Creative Bug, Chilton's, Tumble Book Library, Homework Help, Job Now, Elm and a wealth of information at www.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
- Free downloadable audio books
- Audio books and DVD's
- Preschool Story Time, Summer and Winter Reading Programs
- Programs with authors, artists, gardeners, dance groups, actors, musicians and others
- Homebound Service
- A site for book clubs and other small groups to meet
- Comfortable and inviting spaces for studying, casual reading, visiting, researching
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Adult Craft Classes
- Take & Make Kits
- Computer Classes